Monday, October 30, 2006

My SOVIET life...

Many of you have asked for a glimpse into my everyday life here. Well, I've finally gotten around to taking some pics of this place. I'd even forgotten that some of this stuff is not so normal in the states, but thanks to a visit from my friend Leslie from the sates, you now can see what I see every, single day. So here goes...


This is the little orthodox church near my house. They have little ones like this all over the place here. Old people go here on Sat. nights and Sundays.

The canal that seperates me from the island of Rusonovka. That's right, I live next door to an island.

This is the canal and pedestrian bridge just a 2 min walk from my building. I used to swim in this thing during the summer. Lot's of old guys fish in there. Me and my old roomate threw rotten watermelons of that bridge one time. They completely disentegrated upon contact with the surface of the river. It was really cool.


There are lots of new buildings being built all over this city. This is just down the street from me. They have the crews working 24hrs a day...I know cause I see the welding flashing at night.


This is my Building. 9 stories of concrete goodness.....SOVIET concrete goodness!!!


There is no parking here in Kiev, so parking and driving on sidewalks is a common occurance.

This is our trash lady who is always picking up around our dumpster. I don't know who pays her...maybe it's the state....the SOVIET STATE!!!!


I have never actually seen these flowers anywhere near my building, but Leslie found them somewhere.


My building's front entrance. It looks ohh so...ummmm.....SOVIET!!!

Our stairwell...and yes it smells as bad as it looks.

The inside of my front door. We have a outer wooden door and an inner leather covered door. I don't know what the second one is foor, but I'm glad that we have it. It's prettier than the other.
Here's my old roomate's room. I may be moving into this one soon.
Please note the gas stove from the 1940s. It's a rare piece because it's such an antique. It may be old, but you better believe it can still burn your biscuits...oh yes it can.

That's enough for now. Come visit me sometime.

3 Comments:

Blogger Ethan said...

just to make sure...is that a clothes washing machine in your kitchen?

2:53 AM  
Blogger Nadia said...

Hi Jared! I was wandering all kinds of blogs and stumbled across yours... hope you don't mind! :) And now it turns out that we are neighbors. I actually live on the island of Rusanovka! I thought you lived on Poznyaki...

As far as you critique of the Soviet things - NO COMMENTS!!! :)

7:29 PM  
Blogger Blake said...

this is the first I've heard of your watermeloning. glad you are passing on our traditions to the peeps over there.

5:02 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home